I was making some muffins to have for Shabbat breakfast and I ended up with about 1/2 a cup of pumpkin puree left over. I didn't want to throw it out, and every time I put extra in the fridge I forget it until it's got more green fuzz than a sea-sick caterpillar! Then the idea came to me of hiding it in macaroni and cheese! The colour would blend in nicely and some spices added the flavour would be totally masked! As I was putting it together I realized I could up the nutritional ante farther by replacing the traditional bread crumbs with toasted wheat germ! So I put it all together, and served it up. It was a hit! My cute little veggie-hater had no idea she was eating something that was good for her!
- 1 1/2 pounds cooked macaroni (I used scoobi doo pasta. Use whole wheat or brown rice pasta for even more nutrients)
- 1/4 c. butter
- 1/4 c flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 c. pumpkin puree
- 1 1/2 tsp smoked paprika, chipotle powder, or any combination thereof
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup toasted wheat germ
- Spray Olive Oil
1) While pasta is cooking, make the white sauce.
2) Whisk the pumpkin and spices into the sauce.
3) Stir in the cheese until melted.
4) In a baking dish combine the pasta and sauce.
5) Sprinkle the wheat germ over the pasta and spray with olive oil.
6) Place under broiler for a few moment to brown the top.